Orbera™ is a simple tool designed to help you create a healthier lifestyle. A soft, saline-filled silicone balloon is placed in your stomach for six months. The balloon is designed to partially fill your stomach, giving you a feeling of fullness that will help you make the changes to your diet and lifestyle that will help you keep the weight off once the balloon is removed.
Orbera does not involve surgery or long-term drug therapy. The balloon is placed and removed during a simple 20-30 minute endoscopic procedure, during which you will be mildly sedated. A key component of the Orbera system is the 12 months of education and support, from implantation to six months after removal, provided by Dr. Clinton Twaddell and his team.
What are the benefits of Orbera?
- It's a short procedure with a short recovery and no incisions or scarring.
- No permanent changes are made to the digestive tract.
- Weight-loss benefits begin right away.
- Orbera results in greater weight loss than diet and exercise alone
- Orbera has been shown to improve obesity-related co-morbidities such as metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia.
- Orbera has FDA approval and proven effectiveness; it has been used outside the US for more than 17 years/200,000 patients.
How does Orbera work?
You’ll be lightly sedated while Dr. Twaddell uses an endoscope to insert a deflated gastric balloon into your stomach. Once in place, it’s injected with saline and sealed. The entire process normally takes around 20-30 minutes.
After a period of rest and observation, you will be discharged. For the first few days, as your stomach adjusts to the balloon, you’ll feel uncomfortable, and you may experience nausea, bloating, diarrhea or cramping. These side effects are temporary and normal. After the first two weeks, your body will have adjusted to Orbera and you should be following a regular nutrition plan.
Am I a candidate?
Orbera has been described as a safe, non-surgical weight-loss option that is three times more effective than diet and exercise alone. It may be appropriate for patients who:
- have been unsuccessful at weight loss with diet and exercise
- cannot or would rather not undergo a more invasive surgical procedure
The most common measurement used to indicate whether a person is overweight is Body Mass Index (BMI). Use the BMI calculator in the right-hand column above. If you have a BMI of 30 or more, Orbera could be the solution for you. Dr. Twaddell and his team will be able to give you a more thorough health assessment based on your BMI and other relevant factors to ultimately determine whether you are a candidate for Orbera.
How much weight can I expect to lose?
Patients treated with Orbera can expect to have significant weight loss during the six months the balloon is in place. Published clinical studies show that, for people who followed the lifestyle recommendations from their education and support team:
- Weight loss is rapid with Orbera, with most of it occurring during the first three months.
- Orbera is three times more effective than diet and exercise alone.
How can I become an Orbera patient?
To participate, your BMI must fall within the guidelines and you must be able to follow the 12-month program, which:
- begins with the placement of the Orbera balloon, along with education and support and a healthy diet and exercise program for six months,
- followed by six more months of education and support and a healthy diet and exercise program after the balloon is removed.
If you are ready to try this new, non-surgical approach to weight control, please call 817-774-5032.
Learn more about Orbera